< Back To About
New York Studio School is an equal opportunity employer. Business activities such as hiring, training, compensation, promotions, transfers, terminations and NYSS-sponsored social and recreational activities are conducted without discrimination based on race, color, genetics, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a special disabled veteran or other veteran covered by the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974, as amended.
The New York Studio School is fully committed to complying with all applicable laws for establishing and implementing a program providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment.
Current Employment Opportunities:
The New York Studio School, founded in 1964 by artists for artists and located in the historic Greenwich Village building that served as the original home of the Whitney Museum of American Art, is currently seeking an experienced, thoughtful, and effective Development Officer to join a small, dedicated staff in supporting its mission and programs.
The Development Officer is a full-time position that plays a critical role in advancing the organization’s fundraising activities and board engagement, both of which are essential to the School’s growth and eminence. The position is responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing NYSS fundraising efforts, including the annual appeals, institutional and corporate giving, and special events. The position reports to the Dean and the Associate Dean for Administrative Affairs and works closely and collaboratively with the Board of Trustees, Development Coordinator and other staff.
The New York Studio School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, family or marital status, or sexual orientation. The School is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as School’s main point of contact for donors
- Work with board members and leadership to coordinate and execute long-term strategic fundraising plans
- Manage calendar of grant deadlines and related reporting
- Oversee preparation of grant proposals and associated reports
- Coordinate prospect research and cultivation efforts
- Oversee planning and execution of annual benefit and other events
- Oversee annual year-end appeal and Lecture Series appeal campaigns
- Oversee creation of development-related communications
- Collaborate on alumni engagement initiatives
- A minimum of three years development experience; previous experience at a visual arts nonprofit or educational institution is a plus
- Proven track record in securing foundation grants and individual gifts
- Ability to articulate the vision and mission of the New York Studio School
- Diplomatic, collaborative, and solutions-driven
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including proofreading
- Experience managing deadlines and multiple projects simultaneously
- Passion for art and creative thinking
- Demonstrated professional demeanor and ability to handle confidential information
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM, and with Excel
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of approximately $55,000 – $65,000, dependent on experience, with room for growth. NYSS offers a benefits package that includes health care coverage.
This job description is not designed to cover all duties or responsibilities connected to this role. NYSS hours are Monday – Friday, 10am – 6pm, with potential weekend work and travel. The offices are located in Greenwich Village in Manhattan, in a historic building that does not meet ADA compliant standards. The staff is presently working both onsite and remotely.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter and resume, including contact information for three references, as one PDF document to email@example.com. Please put “Your Name – Development Officer” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.